Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Unrelated Good Stuff

My English teacher finally picked a good book. The last book we read was Ok but hard to get in to. Now we get to read The Catch and the Rye, which so far, is good.

And Today I get to the first page of a short story about something that annoys me. And the story doesn't even have include me. I should have fun with this.

I love the FM radio on my MP3 player. It's wonderful. I listen to it all the time.

I've gotten back into Tae Kwon Do which I had to quit about a year and a half ago. I had to quit for money reasons. I am much looking forward to the muscle I will put on. I miss it terribly. That's not even mentioning the strength, flexibility, and balance. I'm not really one for sports, especially team sports, but I love Tae Kwon Do. It's so fun to scare, or annoy, or entertain those little kids. Some of them aren't so little really. Some of them are adults. No matter, I'm not picky. Oh yeah you probably want to know how close to black belt I'm. Am I right? Well I'm a purple belt. That is to say that next advancement I'll be a brown stripe, and then a brown belt, then a black stripe, then a black belt. I would be a black belt be now If I hadn't had to drop out. Tis a pity. I was Student of the Month once.

Comments:
Check out my profile. I made a few changes. Specificly look at my occupation, it's "changed".
 
While I don't doubt it's utility as a form of exercise it would be very interesting to see how useful it would be as a real world fighting form. Most of the Asian martial arts lack alot of the important aspects that are necessary in a real fight for example a lack of rules or being able to fight without meditating before hand, how to take punches etc.
 
Is "The Catch and the Rye" a different book than "The Catcher in the Rye"? I recall that being a relatively boring yet foul book that I had to read in 10th grade.
 
Neemund:
It's probably whatever you said. I didn't bother to look at the cover when I wrote that. I wouldn't read that book on a normal basis. But compared to the lame books my teacher usually picks, it's a really good book. I don't all together blame him. He really only has lame books to pick from, cuz of the stupid, school rules that eliminate all the good books. Foul, yes it's pretty foul. My teach is unable to let us read books that don't contain something bad, or at least questionable. I would even go so far the say that most books I read for fun are better then the books I read for school. I fact, I've only read a couple books as bad or worst that the ones I've read for school.

Stranger-than-Fiction:
One: I would never get close enough for someone to punch if I could help it. Two: I don't meditate. Nor does anyone else I know. We are taught how to get out of grips too. Which is very handy. And black belts get to learn knife defense.

List of lame books my teacher made(or is making)me read:
A Tale of Two Cities
Brave New World
Things Fall Apart
McBeth
Crime and Punishment*
Of Mice and Men*
The Old Man and the Sea
The Catcher in the Rye*

*books that were, or are, ok(so far).
 
Who is "Stranger-than-Fiction"?
 
That's just what I call Rabenstrange for short.
 
Ah.
 
The only good Books I remember reading in high school for class are:
Huckleberry Finn
The Giver
The Hobbit
The Bean Trees
The Scarlet Letter
Of Mice and Men (it was ok I guess)

Good books were a rarity in my classes and the crap books highly outnumbered the good books. And now Renton High is not allowed to teach Huck Finn anymore because some girl complained that it used Nigger in it; even though she apparantly uses the word several times per day when refering to her friends.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]